The Eric Morris Offseason: Transfers & Hires Watch

Originally published at: The Eric Morris Offseason: Transfers & Hires Watch – Mean Green Nation

Eric Morris is the new head coach of the University of North Texas and that means a lot of things but mostly it means : change is coming. Well, it is already here isn’t it? So far we have some transfers and recommits. South Oak Cliff DL Keith Smith decommitted from NT. That makes sense…

So I linked a post to this here, but I mean it to be a discussion where we are simply talking about the transfers and hires here.

(This is a wiki, so please edit as you see fit)

Coaches Out

DC: Phil Bennett
OC: Mike Bloesch
OL: Randy Clements

Players Out

That one WR
LB: Bryce Drummond
TE: Asher Alberding
TE: Jake Roberts

Coaches In

RB: Patrick Cobbs
QB: Sean Brophy, former UIW QB, UIW and Wazzu coach
WR: Jordan Davis, former UIW, Wazzu coach
Chief of Staff: Rolando Surita, former UTSA grad (hiss!!)
TE: Chris Gilbert, former Texas director of HS relations and former HS coach himself
DC: Matt Caponi, Iowa St corners coach.
ST: Drew Svoboda, Alabama assistant. Will also be associate head coach
Recruiting Coordinator, Justin Owens, a DFW-area coach
Strength Coach: Bryan Kegans, formerly of USC
DL: Demerick Gray

COMMITS OUT

DT: Keith Smith

I’m interested to see how Coach Morris completes the rest of the staff. Primarily, who he hires to coordinate the defense. I would like him to hire someone that has experience coordinating an FBS defense. If that’s not possible, I will take a dominate FCS DC (if such a thing exists).

2 Likes

yeah he said he is looking DC – and talked about the importance there and on ST, which is great. That’s the right talk but talk doesn’t win games. He’s winning the talk game right now though :smiley:

2 Likes

As long as he doesn’t start saying selfless toughness and discipline, I will be good haha.

2 Likes

I think based on his speech yesterday sounds like he is also looking for a new Strength and conditioning coach as well.

3 Likes

strength coaches are all the rage

1 Like

A couple of things on Caponi – 3-3-3 – MatchQuarters | #ArtofX

1 Like

Updated again with the strength coach hire